Abbott Laboratories Value Stock - Dividend - Research SelectionAbbott Laboratories (ISIN: US0028241000, WKN: 850103) Market price date: 19.07.2019 Market price: 87,49 USD
|Market Capitalization||154.857.308.160,00 USD|
|Country||Vereinigte Staaten von Amerika|
|Indices||Russell 3000,S&P 500|
|Raw Data Source||US GAAP in Millionen USD|
|Stock Split||2013-01-03,10000.0000/4798.0000; 2013-01-02,10000.0000/4798.0000; 2004-05-04,10000.0000/9356.0000; 2004-05-03,10000.0000/9356.0000; 1998-06-02,2.0000/1.0000; 1998-06-01,2.0000/1.0000; 1992-06-02,2.0000/1.0000; 1992-06-01,2.0000/1.0000; 1990-06-02,2.0000/1.0000; 1990-06-01,2.0000/1.0000; 1986-06-03,2.0000/1.0000; 1986-06-02,2.0000/1.0000; 1981-06-01,2.0000/1.0000; 1981-05-30,2.0000/1.0000; 1981-05-29,2.0000/1.0000; 1978-05-23,2.0000/1.0000; 1978-05-22,2.0000/1.0000; 1975-08-26,2.0000/1.0000; 1975-08-25,2.0000/1.0000; 1964-04-28,2.0000/1.0000; 1964-04-27,2.0000/1.0000|
|Last Balance Sheet Update||24.02.2019|
|Fundamental ratios calculated on: 19-07-2019|
Description of the company
Abbott Laboratories is an Illinois corporation, incorporated in 1900. Abbott's* principal business is the discovery, development, manufacture, and sale of a broad and diversified line of health care products.
As of December 31, 2016, Abbott had four reportable segments: Established Pharmaceutical Products, Diagnostic Products, Nutritional Products, and Vascular Products.
On January 4, 2017, Abbott completed the acquisition of St. Jude Medical, Inc. (St. Jude Medical), a global medical device manufacturer, for approximately $23.6 billion, including approximately $13.6 billion in cash and approximately $10 billion in Abbott common shares, based on the closing Abbott share price on the acquisition date. Because the acquisition was completed during 2017, the financial condition and results of operations presented herein are those of Abbott and its subsidiaries prior to the completion of the acquisition, and do not include the financial conditions and results of operations of St. Jude Medical and its subsidiaries.
On September 14, 2016, Abbott entered into a definitive agreement to sell its surgical cataract treatment, surgical vision correction and consumer eye health businesses to Johnson & Johnson for $4.325 billion in cash, subject to customary purchase price adjustments for cash, debt and working capital. The transaction reflects Abbott's proactive shaping of its portfolio in line with its strategic priorities. The transaction is expected to close in the first quarter of 2017 and is subject to customary closing conditions, including regulatory approvals.
On January 30, 2016, Abbott entered into a definitive merger agreement to acquire Alere Inc. (Alere), a diagnostic device and service provider, for $56.00 per common share in cash. The acquisition is subject to satisfaction of customary closing conditions, including the accuracy of Alere's representations and warranties (subject to certain materiality qualifications), compliance in all material respects with Alere's covenants and receipt of applicable regulatory approvals. Due to a number of adverse developments that have occurred with respect to Alere since the date of the merger agreement, Abbott has filed a complaint in the Delaware Court of Chancery seeking to terminate the merger agreement on the basis that Alere has experienced a "material adverse effect" under the acquisition agreement and has materially breached certain of its covenants. See Item 3, "Legal Proceedings."
On February 27, 2015, Abbott completed the sale of its developed markets branded generics pharmaceuticals business, which was previously included in the Established Pharmaceutical Products segment, to Mylan Inc. for 110 million shares of Mylan N.V., a newly formed entity that combined Mylan's existing business with Abbott's developed markets branded generics pharmaceuticals business. Abbott retained the branded generics pharmaceuticals business and products of its Established Pharmaceutical Products segment in emerging markets. In April 2015, Abbott sold 40,250,000 of its Mylan N.V. ordinary shares. Abbott currently owns 69,750,000 Mylan N.V. ordinary shares.
Established Pharmaceutical Products
These products include a broad line of branded generic pharmaceuticals manufactured worldwide and marketed and sold outside the United States. These products are generally sold directly to wholesalers, distributors, government agencies, health care facilities, pharmacies, and independent retailers from Abbott-owned distribution centers and public warehouses, depending on the market served. Certain products are co-marketed or co-promoted with, or licensed from, other companies.
The principal products included in the broad therapeutic area portfolios of the Established Pharmaceutical Products segment are:
• gastroenterology products, including Creon®, for the treatment of pancreatic exocrine insufficiency associated with several underlying conditions, including cystic fibrosis and chronic pancreatitis; Duspatal® and Dicetel®, for the treatment of irritable bowel syndrome or biliary spasm; Heptral®, Transmetil®, and Samyr®, for the treatment of intrahepatic cholestasis (associated with liver disease) or depressive symptoms; and Duphalac®, for regulation of the physiological rhythm of the colon;
• women's health products, including Duphaston®, for the treatment of many different gynecological disorders; and Femoston®, a hormone replacement therapy for postmenopausal women;
• cardiovascular and metabolic products, including Lipanthyl® and TriCor®, for the treatment of dyslipidemia; Teveten® and Teveten® Plus, for the treatment of essential hypertension, and Physiotens®, for the treatment of hypertension; and Synthroid®, for the treatment of hypothyroidism;
• pain and central nervous system products, including Serc, for the treatment of Ménière's disease and vestibular vertigo; Brufen®, for the treatment of pain, fever, and inflammation, and Sevedol®, for the treatment of severe migraines; and
• respiratory drugs and vaccines, including the anti-infective clarithromycin (sold under the trademarks Biaxin®, Klacid®, and Klaricid®); and Influvac®, an influenza vaccine.
The Established Pharmaceutical Products segment directs its primary marketing efforts toward building a strong brand with key stakeholders, including consumers, pharmacists, physicians, and other healthcare providers. Government agencies are also important customers.
Competition in the Established Pharmaceutical Products segment is generally from other health care and pharmaceutical companies. In addition, the substitution of generic drugs for the brand prescribed and introduction of additional forms of already marketed established products by generic or branded competitors have increased competitive pressures.